Topband: 160m conditions - before and after solar peak

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160m conditions - before and after solar peak
From: W0AH@aol.com (W0AH@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 00:11:52 EDT
Topbanders,
Here in central Colorado, we had more thunderstorms and lightning (and QRN)
the first three weeks of September than during all of July and August.
However, it's been a lot quieter recently and here in Colorado, conditions to
Europe Monday night/Tuesday morning, Sept 24, compared favorably with the
better openings last season (which was poor).  Both DF2PY and OH1XX were 559
for over an hour around 0400, and G3XGC was the same when he came on a little
latter. None could hear my 150W, but I'll keep trying to see if I can work
WAC this season low power.  Worked H8A a little while ago so at least South
America, sometimes difficult until the contests, is worked.  None of the VKs
and JAs seem to still be around in the morning near my sunrise (when I get
up) around 1230 UTC.  Maybe they go to bed by then?  The NE beverage is back
up, and pennants for other directions are in the works.  Good DXing!
Doug W0AH