Topband: Bi-directional prop

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Bi-directional prop
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 16:09:39 -0400
> I'm a strong believer in the station hearing me as well as I hear him.
> Reciprocity in propagation seems to be the norm.

I've been wondering how to test path direction differences for years.

The only way I can think of testing path direction differences is to
have systems with calibrated signal level voltage meters and antennas
with identical properly focused patterns. The systems would also have
to have known power and antenna efficiencies at each end of the path,
and we would have to do a chart recording.

Only then could we average the absolute signal levels over short
periods of time, record those averages over long periods of time, and
see if the attenuation is the same both directions.

Most likely none of us will ever be able to do a meaningful test, and
day to day observations are useless because of all the other
variables that prevent reliable or meaningful observations. Just like
polarization coupling loss, if we can't clearly and reliably observe
the effect in a simple test or normal daily operation it certainly
isn't worth any worry.73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com