Topband: 160 Vertical

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 Vertical
From: k4iq@worldnet.att.net (John B. Mitchell)
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 13:02:09 -0400
I haven't seen where anyone has suggested this yet, so here goes:

If I had a 200 foot tower, didn't want to upset the horizontal arrays
already positioned, and wanted to maximize capability, there's little doubt
I'd install an array of SCVs (full size vertical dipoles) pulled out in the
middle, and fed with a 4 square box.  Why worry about loading a huge
structure like that, with attendant worries of all the coax, rotor feeds,
etc., when you can have a real gain antenna with back and side lobe
suppression?  There is a good article about one of these antennas in one of
the ARRL Antenna Compendiums, might have been number 4 or 5.  Believe it was
up at K3LR's.  Great antenna, and minimum interaction with what else is on
the tower.

73,
John K4IQ