Topband: Full Moon " Evidence"

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Full Moon " Evidence"
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 06:16:05 -0400
> Do you think that the "good conditions" could be caused by the full
> moon OR something in sync with the full moon?

Hi Don,

I doubt it has anything to do with the moon, since the exceptional
propagation days from here are totally random with respect to the
full moon.

As I said before, W1BB initially put forth the idea the full moon
resulted in exceptionally POOR 160 propagation, much like trying to
work DX on 160 during daylight hours. The stark contrast between
Stew's "observation" and what the recent proposal that the full moon
improves propagation is what one would expect to see when we
attribute a result to a totally unrelated cause.

Let me give another example of this. If you turn on your car's wipers
and the radio and look for a syncronization in the beat of music and
the wipers, you might find one. Although there often appears to be a
relationship it does not mean there is one.

That is why we need very long-term controlled well-thought-out or
planned objective observations to verify any theory with things so
random as propagation. I'm afraid one night or even several dozen
nights random observations doesn't mean anything at all, no more than
watching a wiper and listening to the beat of music.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com