Topband: Full Moon, NOW!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Full Moon, NOW!
From: w7dd@msn.com (w7dd)
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 10:44:32 -0400
Hello Tom,

Again, thank you for the nice reply.  I have been thinking about the W1BB
observation.  In Arizona we get good signal strength 1 or 2 days a
month(full moon?) from Europe.  The rest of the time we just listen to the
guys back east working dead air.  They give great signal reports to the
Europeans but we hear nothing at all.  I hear the W1's doing the same thing
occasionally and the W4's don't even hear the Europeans(W8JI excluded).  The
distance from W1 to Europe is about the same as from W1 to Tucson.  I always
hear W1 so I assume W1 always hears Europe.  Since there is no real distance
from W1 to Europe, I tend to discount the propagation information from W1.

Your "beat of the wipers" analogy certainly is easy to fall into and I may
have done so with my "Full Moon Idea".  I am beginning to think that the 1
or 2 good days a month may be a synchronization situation.  Mike(W1MK) has
shed some light on the possibilities in this area too.  I have been
monitoring the timing for several years now using my own band observations
and the DX Summit Database as evidence.  This is not an observation from
just a few months.

One more thing before I end this note, I have been thinking how lucky I am
to be able to access the guys we have on this reflector.  The people who
responded to my "Full Moon" idea have made some wonderful observations and
have added valuable insight to the theory.  They are very high quality
individuals.

Best Regards,
Don Andersen