Topband: Source of terminator resistors for EWE's?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Source of terminator resistors for EWE's?
From: n0tt1@juno.com (by way of Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>)
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 06:03:47 -0500
Hi Eric,

I used the rugged Allen Bradley "2-watt" linear taper
pots for my phased EWE's....never have had a problem
with burned-out pots.  One can use fixed 1-watt "real" carbon
resistors (not carbon film) once the resistive termination value
is found.

I didn't have the "ideal" values of pots, so I just put resistors
in series or parallel with the pots to come up with a reasonable
range, maxing out around 1200 ohms.

No need for a fancy box...plastic will do...just keep the
pots (if used) out of the WX.  Carbon resistors can simply be
mounted on some scrap circuit board with pads cut in with
a fine saw to make spark gaps as suggested on the
TB reflector.  Spray the boards and resistors
with several coats of Krylon and let them hang in the open.

73,
Charlie, N0TT