Topband: QRSS on 160m

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: QRSS on 160m
From: W0AH@aol.com (W0AH@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 18:21:58 EST
 tod@k0to.us writes:
<< If QRSS is
 'experimental' rather than simply very slow CW, the logical place for it to
 operate is at the top of the band.  >>
Hi Todd,
QRSS is, without question, very slow CW.  It is not experimental to those who
have been using it for weeks,  months, or a year+.  It might be
"experimental" to anyone who uses it the first few times.  Although QRSS3 (3
second dots) can be copied by ear if you are patient enough (and, in theory,
so can the slower QRSS modes like 30 second dots), almost all reception of
QRSS is done by software programs which capture the signal on a waterfall
screen. By ear it offers no advantage over faster CW.  The software programs
can copy 10 db, 20 db, and more "under the noise" depending upon how slow it
is sent ( the slower, the narrow the bandwidth, and the weaker the signal
that can be copied). In this case, I don't think the criterion of whether
QRSS is experimental or not plays a part in what part of the band it should
occupy.  We should make a recommendation to the ARRL and our brethern based
on other crieria.
Doug W0AH   QRSS30 beacon on 187.591