Topband: K9AY Loop Revisited

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: K9AY Loop Revisited
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 06:57:04 -0500
I hope I don't get into trouble but....

> I'm looking for any helpful tips.  I did order the fiberglass mast, so
> the metal mast ? is solved.

There isn't any evidence that a short metal mast hurts performance,
but there is strong evidence the antenna is dependent on a moderately
good ground and that the feedline shield should NEVER be connected to
the same ground as the antenna. Neither should the mast.

Of course you can get lucky......

> 1.  Can I use high quality RG-58?  The coax run will be about 150
> feet. My gut feel is yes (low loss at 1.8/3.5 mHz), but does it lack
> the proper shielding for anti-noise pick-up?

Factually, almost any coax...even those with poor looking
braiding....are very good on 160 meters. Terminated or unterminated,
I've never had a length of cable with shield connections intact,
grounded or ungrounded at the far end, that hears any signals on
lower frequencies through signal leakage. I tie-wrapped 30 feet of
cheap Radio Shack cable with a thin braid to another piece, ran 100
watts through one cable, and connected a level meter to the other
cable. I had considerably more problem with connection resistance on
the shields than with actual cable crosstalk on 7MHz.

The most important considerations are to not route the cable with
things that will induce excessive unwanted noise on the shield, make
sure shield connections are good, and to isolate the shield from
antenna grounds. Especially with a ground dependent antenna like the
K9AY.

> 2.  What's preferred, being all things somewhat equal.  Mounting the
> antenna 40+ feet from an overhead powerline (house drop -- 22 foot
> high mast + safety factor) or mounting farther away from the power
> line, but closer to my Hy-tower? (I run 150 watts).

Anyone's guess. Have a look at www.w8ji.com in the article about
noise and nearfields.

> 4. What type of ground does the K9AY loop need?  The installation
> manual says 4 or more 10 foot ground radials will help, other K9AY
> loop articles I've read says ground loss is part of why the antenna
> works.

Ground loss is deleterious to the K9AY, it definitely does NOT help
it. The K9AY is another form of the EWE and other small terminated
loops. All of these antennas benefit from good ground, because the
vertical component of the wires actually receives signals. (In a
Beverage, it is the voltage drop along earth from loss that lets the
horizontal wire respond to vertical electric fields)

The K9AY is especially ground dependent because the termination goes
to a common ground with the source end of the antenna. Anything that
disrupts that ground termination or "pumps" it with enough current to
"wiggle" the ground voltage around will get right back into the
feedline and eventually the receiver.

Of course in cluttered environments, sometimes less than perfect can
actually wind up helping because effects are random! 73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com