Topband: A few words

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: A few words
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 20:59:56 -0600
K6SE wrote:

...SNIP...

> I wonder if it also could be explained as "backscatter", such as often
> experienced on the higher frequencies?  This would be the case where
> propagation from Myanmar would be poor to me on the short path but
> excellent from there to the south Pacific, which the "bounce" off of the
> ocean would scatter some of the signal toward me.
>
> 73, de Earl, K6SE

Earl has the only explanation that makes any sense to me.  The direct path
is not open, the path to a skip point that will produce suitable backscatter
is open, so what you hear is the backscatter from that point, which would
likely be way off beam from the normal direction.

I've heard so many theories, including the chest beatings of the "only
living expert" on the subject.  Backscatter is the only viable explanation
that seems to fit every scenerio.

My $0.02

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com