Topband: Using Top Band Archives

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Using Top Band Archives
From: vk5als@wia.org.au (vk5als@wia.org.au)
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 15:51:57 +1030
Hi Topbanders,

I have recently installed a CD burner and I am now interested in
downloading the Topband Archives.

Questions 1:
a. Is it possible to download the HTML version of the archives
b. is it even desirable
c. is it necessary?

Perhaps I can answer my own question in that it might be possible but it
would be a huge download!

More by good luck than good management I got on to the Windows GZip
version 2 programme so that I was able to "gunzip" the text from the
archive download files. I ended up using Word 2002 (using Windows XP
Professional) to read the text even though the default was Notepad
(which did not do the job properly). Wordpad provided quite acceptable
text and probably is what I should have used.

It was then that I realised that it did not look like I would get the
lovely HTML printout one can get when searching for and opening an
individual file while online. I had also lost the search by author,
date, subject or thread that is part of the online archiving.

Question 2:

What is the best way to go about using the archives if you wish to
download your own copy?

Thanking you all in anticipation,

73 George