Topband: last night (Saturday) on 160

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: last night (Saturday) on 160
From: s9ss160m@yahoo.com (charles Lewis)
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 02:26:15 -0800 (PST)
My apologies for having to duck out again while being
heard in North America.

Things started out great at 2200.  The band was the
quietest it has been since I received the gift of a
KD9SV preamp recently.  It was the first time that I
was able to hear signals on the pennant with the
preamp switched in that I couldn't hear without it.  I
worked 12 JA's in a brief period. The preamplifier was
very beneficial for about 30 minutes.

I initially thought I was going to have a great
session.  I began to hear NA stations at 2238.
Unfortunately, I also began to hear some QRN building
up about the same time. By 2300 UTC copy was getting
very difficult.  I worked KD9SV at that time, and it
had been seven minutes since my previous contact.
After a very great struggle, I logged W4ZV about seven
minutes later.  I barely copied him in the QRN. I
couldn't copy anyone at all in the QRN after that, so
I had to QRT.

I'm a US Government employee, so tomorrow is a
holiday. Since I don't have to get up early tomorrow,
I'll try again tonight.

The NA stations I logged with progressively increasing
difficulty last night as the the QRN devil arose from
the depths were: NO8D, VE3ZI, AJ3K, KD9SV and W4ZV.  I
thought I heard a K4LD, but I was unable to complete a
contact with him before he disappeared into the noise.

73,
Charles - S9SS