Topband: New to 160m antenna question

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: New to 160m antenna question
From: ScottOlitsky at aol.com (ScottOlitsky@aol.com)
Date: Sun Jan 26 15:18:20 2003
I have just moved into a new home with enough area to finally put up my first
160m antenna and try this band for the first time.

I would appreciate experienced peoples' thoughts on the best compromise for a
new antenna here.

I live in a lot with about 2 acres behind the house and a row of large (about
50-60 feet high) trees along the back property line.  My house is on a bit of
a hill, so the top of the house is about 60 feet above the ground in the
backyard.  I was thinking of the following antenna possibilities:

1.  A full dipole across the back property line (but this will be fairly low
off the ground)
2.  An inverted L from the house  to the back property line (the vertical
portion will be 50-60 feet at most) but I can run alot of radials across the
empty land
3.  A loop supported from the corners of the property at 50 feet high (I can
probably get close to 2 WL in the loop)

Thanks for any ideas

Scott

Scott Olitsky
AC3A
Leawood, KS
EM28qv

ex AC3A/4X? 3W2SO? HC5/AC3A

2M EME 4 X 9M2SSB? 8877 PA by Antenna Works? MHP-145 Preamp
6M Beacon 50.078 AC3A/b 10 watts Loop at 35 feet
10M Beacon 28.278 AC3A/b 5 watts Dipole at 35 feet