Topband: Re: Clix and Spurs

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: Clix and Spurs
From: k4kyv at hotmail.com (Donald Chester)
Date: Wed Jan 29 17:57:23 2003

>From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
>
>... a radio that fully meets all FCC
>requirements can be (and often is) illegal for us to use!

How so?  Pse explain.   The FCC can regulate commercial manufacture and sale
of amateur gear, but I am unaware of any restrictions on the gear we USE as
long as it transmits a signal that falls within the technical requirements
in part 97.  We can build or modify our own amplifiers to work on 10m, and
we can legally own a rig that translmits outside the ham bands as  long as
we keep our on-the-air operations legal according to the rules..

Or has something changed that I am not aware of?

Don K4KYV