Topband: Re: Clix and Spurs

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: Clix and Spurs
From: w2fca at cs.com (w2fca@cs.com)
Date: Fri Jan 31 10:23:22 2003
James Wolf <kr9u@arrl.net> wrote:
>Maybe one path to pursue is to push to get articles, (not tech notes)
>published in QST that provide information for users to modify their radios
>to bring them up to some kind of "Amateur Standard",..........
>Many of the changes can be simple component value changes,
>which indicates that the design was never really done right.

It's a pretty well known fact that a lot of solid state VHF "brick" amplifiers
have design faults in their bias circuits that create a lovely "heavy metal"
sound to them. As a result, there have been articles done on adding active bias
quite cheaply and also a number of people now make those mods for those who
can't/won't. Not evertbody has gone for it, but the bands are a whole lot
cleaner.
I use a Tentec Omni V and a TS850S. If somebody gave me a mod that would
improve the keying I know I'd go for it.

Frank
W2FCA