Topband: Key clicks

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Key clicks
From: W4EF at dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Tue May 13 09:56:07 2003
I am kinda of going out on a limb here since the fourier transform isn't
expressed as a function of time and thinking about the time vs. spectrum
relationship always makes my head hurt. I believe there is a fundamental
law in communications theory described as the uncertainty principle
which addresses this relationship. If you had very narrow band receiver,
I think you could actually resolve peak and valleys in the sin(x)/x
spectrum,
but for the keying speeds (e.g. pulse widths) that we normally use, these
sidebands are so close together we can't resolve them with even our
most narrow of CW filters.

Okay now I will put on my flame suit and wait for someone who understands
this better than me to "clarify" :):)