Topband: Re: Weak signal receivers

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: Weak signal receivers
From: kh7t at arrl.net (John Buck)
Date: Mon Jun 23 17:43:02 2003
Tom,

Thanks for the tutorial that helps to clarify the various sources of
noise and interference.  I absolutely agree with your conclusion that
the goal is to be able to copy weak signals without artifacts caused by
overload.

I believe that I was guilty of sloppily using the term noise to refer to
all unwanted stuff showing up in my audio while trying to listen to weak
signals instead of correctly separating antenna noise, external spurious
noise, receiver noise
and receiver generated intermod products.

I agree that much of the "DX pileup noise" is probably due to
transmitters."   However, I have noticed that the noise rise effect is
noticeably  less and signal to noise ratio is better when using K2,
Omni, Orion than when using  IC 735, TS120, TS530 and others.  I think
this is more than the an operator perceived effect described below.

So my conclusion remains that some of the apparent noise is generated in
the receiver in the presence of multiple strong signals.  Of course the
artifacts you describe are there also.  Perhaps your ears and
instrumentation are more discriminating that mine.  Also perhaps some of
the noise that shows up as bleeps and bloops in the narrow CW case
appear more similar to random noise when generated by a large number of
mixed ssb signals.

A difference in our observation base is that you appear to be looking at
narrow band cw and I have been looking primarily at SSB bandwidths.  I
also agree that my K2 does not have the excess gain necessary for a very
quiet receive antenna.  I think this was a design goal to minimize
"excess" gain before the mixers and filter consistent with adequate
noise figure.  It is fine for use with conventional transceive antennas.
 I have been looking at 40 meters and up and with dipole and beams.

Your explanations are logical with good separation of the various
effects.  And perhaps we are both attacking the  "I want to hear a loud
background noise that must show my receiver has sufficient gain" folklore.

Is it possible that my "noise" rise in a strong signal power environment
observation is a phase noise in the receiver fault?  Again not the same
as a front end amplifier/mixer non linearity cause.

Aloha,
John KH7T
 I did not Snip Tom's text here as I believe his words deserve  careful
reading.
The initial quotes are from my original message.  -- John