Topband: Re: Weak signal receivers

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: Weak signal receivers
From: kh7t at arrl.net (John Buck)
Date: Thu Jun 19 19:57:08 2003
The context that I was using is that nonlinear front ends cause a lot of
low level mixing products in the pass band in the presence of multiple
large signals in the front end.  A more linear front end has less noise
showing up between the big signals.  It is not atmospheric noise.  I do
mean in the context of between the frequencies of large signals, not the
context of time that you suggest.

Quieter means to me less internally generated noise not low gain to make
it appear quieter.

I agree that the noise we all hear should be external to the receiver.
 But in many cases it is not.  A prime example is a heavy DX pile up.
 When many people are calling the band noise appears to rise.  This is
partially due to nonlinearities in the transmitters outside the
receiver, but is also partly due to nonlinearities in the receiver front
end including phase noise.  A more linear front end with large signal
power handling capability and low phase noise along with a narrow
roofing filter appears much quieter without losing sensitivity.  So the
weak dx signal is more likely to be heard even when the animals are
roaring just outside my pass band.
On a band with only a few signals or with high atmospheric noise levels
both the "good" front end and the poor one will sound the same.  Many
people are confusing the "quietness" of good front ends in the top of
the line receivers such as Ten-Tec and K2 as a lack of gain even though
the weak signals pop up with
a better signal to noise ratio than many other receivers.

By the way, a receiver front end must not only be super linear for the
power range of the desired signal but must be able to maintain that
linearity for all of the power presented by all other (large) signals in
the front end pass band.

Aloha,
John KH7T