Topband: IC-756pro2 A/B Test Results

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: IC-756pro2 A/B Test Results
From: k6se at juno.com (k6se@juno.com)
Date: Mon Aug 11 17:24:31 2003
I have compared the Icom IC-756pro2 with my FT-1000MP and Elecraft K2 in
an A/B test on digging real on-air weak CW signals out of the noise on 10
meters and 160 meters.

The 756pro2 performed best on the weak test signals with its controls set
as follows:

Mode: CW
DSP bandwidth: 50 Hz
Preamp #2 on for 10m
Preamp off for 160m

The controls on the FT-1000MP comparison receiver were set as follows:

Mode: CW
Xtal filter BW: 250/125 Hz
EDSP BW: 60 Hz
Preamp: Tuned

The Elecraft K2 was set up as follows:

Mode: CW
Xtal filter BW: 700 Hz
DSP BW: 50 Hz
Preamp: On for 10m, off for 160m
DSP NR: On (nr1)

The 756pro2's NR made no difference whether it was on or off at narrow
BWs.  At wide BW's (SSB), it worked quite well.  These same results are
true on two of the other receivers that include DSP NR (the Orion and
FT-1000MP).  The K2's NR did help slightly with its 50 Hz DSP filter
engaged.

The IC-756pro2 IMDDR3 and BDR test results from the ARRL lab are not as
good as some of the other receivers on the list, but my tests are done
when there are no nearby strong signals on the band.  The sole purpose of
my tests is to determine how well a receiver can dig weak CW signals from
the noise.

Here is the updated list of receivers checked so far at K6SE, in order
from best to worst (non-competition class radios have been dropped from
the list):

 1) Elecraft K2 (with KDSP2)
 2) Icom 756pro2
 3) Icom 746pro
 4) Yaesu FT-1000MP (with INRAD mod)
 5) Yaesu FT-1000D
 6) Kenwood TS-830S
 6) Kenwood TS-870S (tied with the TS-830S)
 7) Yaesu FT-1000MP (without the INRAD mod)
 8) Icom IC-775DSP
 9) Ten-Tec Omni VI+
10) Ten-Tec Orion

The top four radios are so close on 160m that it wouldn't make much
difference which one you had.  The top three radios outperform the
FT-1000MP (with INRAD mod) on 10m.  The K2 gets the nod for 1st place
because its KDSP2 makes it slightly better on 160m.

The 775DSP, Omni VI+ and Orion were all noticeably below the FT-1000MP
without the INRAD mod.  The Orion was significantly poorer than the Omni
VI+.

As more radios are A/B tested, I'll update the list.

73, de Earl, K6SE