RE: Topband: Beverage measurements

To: "jbattin" <jbattin@msn.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: Beverage measurements
From: "Richard Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 09:13:59 -0700
That's very interesting.  I think you have now
permanently debunked the sloping wire configuration,
in case anyone still believed in it.  It wasn't clear
if you also eliminated the vertical drop
from the terminated end as well.  That should
also matter, although its effects are
reduced by the attenuation of the propagation
along the length of the wire, which could easily
be 3 to 6 dB.

I am also wondering if the shorter vertical drop
explains why I get better results with low beverages
(2 ft) rather than high ones (10 ft).
What height was the beverage in the test?

I agree with your comment about narrowing the front
lobe; I think this is why the concensus seems to be
to go with broadside arrays of beverages instead of
extremely long individual ones.

Rick N6RK