Re: Topband: Beverage measurements

To: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage measurements
From: Jon Zaimes AA1K <jon.zaimes@dol.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:23:24 -0400
Hi Bill,

The stagger-phased Beverages are a big advantage here. I can hear things on my
European pair that are inaudible on a single wire in the same direction (pair
are 513-feet long; single about the same).

A stagger pair at 324 degrees, each 465-feet long, seem to do about as well as
the single-wire 880-foot wire in same direction.

New parallel phased pair due West -- 525 feet each, spaced 312 feet -- is also
a big improvement over single wire.

A parallel pair of 950-foot wires toward JA, spaced 175 feet, offered some
improvement over a single 500-foot wire in the same direction, in the few tests
I was able to make on it last season. But I will probably be converting it to a
stagger-phased pair soon.

The stagger pair of course doesn't narrow the beamwidth, just improve the f/b,
with a deeper null to the rear of the rearward element (with the leading
current). The broadside (parallel) pair spaced 300+ feet gives a narrower lobe
and improved f/b. Either one could be an advantage, depending on your target
area and orientation of the nulls.

Next step here is to add a second stagger phased pair toward Europe, spaced 400
feet away, and feed the two pairs together for additional improvement.

73/Jon AA1K