Topband: Change in 75/80/160M conditions in CO

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Change in 75/80/160M conditions in CO
From: <w0ah@a-1st.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 19:03:05 -0600 (MDT)
Perhaps those of you who have studied lowband propagation can suggest the
reasons for the much better than average conditions in the western USA to
northern Europe on the night of the 12th and the well below average
conditions 24 hours later. If that statement of conditions is correct, as
it appeared to be from my own monitoring,  what factors explain it?  The
SFI, A-index, and, probably more important K-index are suggestive-
12th  0600 UTC   SFI 106   A 4  K  2
13th  0600 UTC   SFI  98   A 5  K  2

There was also E-skip noted on 6M the evening of the 13th in much of the
USA.

How do others read these numbers, other solar weather phenonmenon, etc?

>From my casual following of lowband propagation and the above numbers over
the years, I infer that there are other factors at work that we don't
understand and/or don't quantify.

Doug W0AH   Woodland Park CO