Topband: Propagation Between MN and Germany

To: "a COL Topband E-List" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Propagation Between MN and Germany
From: "Thomas Giella KN4LF" <kn4lf@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 17:39:44 -0400
Ford N0FP Said:
.....I'm in Minnesota.  When the 'red' regions of the oval are north of
Winnipeg,
chances are good that I'll be able to at least hear Western EU.  But that's
not the whole picture.  I have also worked Wolf, who is quite a ways East,
on nights that seemed impossible when looking at the auroral map.  I too
believe there are more factors at play than just the A, K, and auroral
activity.....

Thomas KN4LF Says:
    On nights when the direct high latitude path from Minnesota to Germany
is blocked due to a
southward expanded Aurora Oval, you may have been able to work Germany due
to the southward
skewing of your signal caused by refraction via horizontal gradients in the
E layer.
   Another possibility is that your low angle transmitted 160 signal passed
underneath the Aurora oval or traversed
in an E Valley duct.

73,
Thomas F. Giella, KN4LF
Plant City, FL, USA
EL87WX

KN4LF 160 Meter Amateur Radio Resources & More:
http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf.htm

KN4LF Daily Solar Space Weather & Geomagnetic Data Archive:
http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf5.htm