Topband: MW BC spurious emissions

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: MW BC spurious emissions
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 18:48:43 -1000
Hi all,

Some of you who are experiencing QRM from medium wave broadcast stations may find this story interesting, and it may even help you to help them (the broadcaster) solve their problem.

I used to operate 160 meters at a club station about two miles away from a MWBC site that had two transmitters duplexed into one antenna. There were several mixes that could be heard. Some of them were generated in nonlinear devices that were not part of the broadcasters equipment. The mixes that were generated by the broadcasters equipment seemed to be mostly within the legal limits. The one component that was clearly above the limits was the second harmonic of KVEC 920 kHz, on 1840 kHz. The transmitter they were using was bought used from a station that had been on 1050 kHz (or something like that) and the second harmonic trap was still tuned to 2100 kHz, instead of 1840 kHz. Tuning the trap to the right frequency helped a lot. The trap consisted of a fixed capacitor and a roller inductor that was pretty corroded. So it was somewhat intermittant. I offered to build them a trap that would work consistantly, they declined and eventually bought a new transmitter instead. Sadly none of the cooperative effort to solve their problem was initiated until after I notified the FCC they were out of compliance. Previous to that they just said it was my problem and not theirs.

Ken N6KB