Re: Topband: Ground Radials

To: ken.d.brown@verizon.net, Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Ground Radials
From: n0tt1@juno.com
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 18:33:04 +0000
> I am using a power edger to cut slots in the lawn, and then another
> tool
> to jam the radial wire down into the slot. It is a lot of work.

ON4UN's book has a photo and (I think) plans on building a
kind of "sled" that can be pulled along with a lawn tractor or
human power (gasp!)....might be worth a look.

> I don't know about using chicken wire. I can think of a few reasons
> not
> to use it. It is ferrous metal, which is not the best for RF
> currents.

Chicken wire - even if a bit rusty - has far less resistance than
average ground.  If one wants a permanent, low maintenance
installation use either copper wire (insulated or not) or any
other wire that is insulated, then bury it under the sod....
my 2 cents worth.

73,
Charlie
N0TT