Re: Topband: Ground Radials

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Ground Radials
From: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 20:04:33 +0000 (GMT)
I think the 'Ditch Witch' must be similar to a machine
I rented to place radials when I lived in England. The
one I had was quite large and articulated in the
middle. This made the steering technique interesting,
and although I put down a lot of radials in a short
period they did tend to wander a little!

When putting the radials into a slot by hand I
strongly recommend passing the wire through a length
of pipe bent into a shallow 's' shape - lay the wire
out along the line of the slot first. This forces the
wire to the bottom of the slot and is much much much
easier and neater than trying to use a screwdriver or
such to push the wire into the slot at intervals. It
also means that you can more or less stand up while
placing rather than being on hands and knees. This
idea was passed to me some years ago from Tony G3OFW
via John G3PQA.

Do not try this in northern Ontario for the time being
however. The weather is beastly!

73 Roger
VE3ZI