RE: Topband: K8UR array

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: K8UR array
From: "James Wolf" <kr9u@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 11:29:01 -0500
Tim,

W9LT experimented with this (parasitic) design back in the 70's.
Whether or not he was working from his own idea, I don't know. I believe it
was published as I still remember the pictures with his home in the
background, but I can't recall which pub.
I played with one of these arrays at my QTH on 40 meters in the early 80's.
I finally ended up with a horizontal dipole at 60 ft, roughly the same
height as the top of the Lazy-V.

If you want this configuration to perform, you need to phase the elements in
a 4 sq configuration.
K9UWA is using a phased version on 80 meters and it consistently outperforms
much a higher dipole.

A search on the ARRL web site shows K7LR wrote something in 1966, but alas,
I don't have those resources.
Dec 1966 QST 34 V.H.F. Lazy-H Antenna, A
(Gimmicks and Gadgets) DeMaw, Doug, W1CER

Tim, can you share what design you finally settled on?

James Wolf, KR9U