Re: Topband: Mobile on 160

To: wrt@dslextreme.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Mobile on 160
From: Jon Zaimes AA1K <jz73@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 00:59:27 -0500
Hi Bill,

I've been QRV 160 mobile for about the last 20 months.

I use a KJ7U screwdriver antenna (details at www.kj7u.com). It's one of the few
(maybe the only one) that tunes 160-6 meters continuously (no extra coil needed
for 160). It's mounted below and sticking out behind the rear bumper of my 2000
VW Jetta TDI. Diesel engine, so no ignition noise (and 50 MPG). On the 20-10 m
bands I get some birdies at night when the taillights are on, but 160 is clean
and there is a very low noise floor. I'm often copying DX that fixed stations
are having trouble hearing.

In the first month, I snagged VK3ZL one morning before sunrise while on my way
to a hamfest. That's still my best DX on the band. Most of my activity,
however, is between midnight and 1:30 am or so local time, on my daily commute
home from work. It's an hour ride so lots of time for DXing. I have had maybe a
dozen or so QSOs with Europe. G3PQA has the best ears, I've worked John several
times. G, GW and EA6 are in the log, maybe a couple of other countries too. And
a few northern South Americans and some Caribbean/Central Americans.

I do little operating on the band during daylight, but did work VY2ZM one
afternoon about an hour before sundown. I routinely have QSOs with stations up
and down the East Coast and out into the Midwest -- W1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8 and 9. A
week or so ago a station in Arizona came back to me on my first call and gave
me a good report.

Much of my commute is on an expressway with no powerlines right alongside, so
it's pretty quiet. I notice some signal enhancement while crossing a salt marsh
near the Delaware Bay, and sometimes use that to advantage!.

My rig is a simple IC706MK2G, running just 100 watts. The continuous tuning of
the screwdriver antenna allows me to work anywhere in the band, though I'm
usually around 1820-1830 kHz. 99 percent of my mobile operation is on CW, of
course.

Don, KH6DX/m, just completed his mobile DXCC on 160, and from California no
less! He has quite an elaborate setup in a Dodge diesel pickup.

Mobile on 160 can be fun, and also the ultimate challenge. For me it helps pass
the time on a long commute and keep in touch with friends on the band. Maybe
someday I'll even get DXCC on Top from the car.

73/Jon AA1K
Delaware