Re: Topband: 160m int L

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m int L
From: Sinisa Hristov <shristov@ptt.yu>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 20:58:10 -0500
Gregg Seidl wrote:

> Well the snow is finally starting to fly here in Wisconsin so it is time to
> put up a 160 antenna.I have used an inteverted v here for years with the
> apex at 70 feet and the ends at maybe 30 feet,pretty poor.......I would like
> to try an inverted L.It is my understanding that they need a cap. to tune
> them into the freq that you want.I have an 80,70 and 2 60 foot towers to use
> as supports,and lots of room for radials.Are L's directional?What would be a
> good starting point in length for say 1.85 mhz.Are they broadbanded?Any
> ideas????

My first idea would be to try inverted-T instead of inverted-L
in order to avoid high angle radiation as much as possible.
Even if not set up exactly symmetrical, it may be
preferable to inverted-L in terms of radiation.

Radiation resistance will be lower than for InvL.
With ~60 ft height it fits 1:4 ferrite rod transformer.
Plenty of radials are needed, as well as for InvL.

73,

Sinisa  YT1NT, VA3TTN