Topband: Inverted-L Summary

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Inverted-L Summary
From: Chuck Sudds <chuck@dxham.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 00:23:24 -0600
I was asked by several people to post a summary of the information I received concerning my upcoming Inverted-L project, so here goes:

The more radials, the better BUT even one (or a few) are better than nothing AND will work. Several had elevated radials, which seem to work great and suggested them. (Unfortunately, I cannot use elevated radials because of the tower placement.)

Keep the wire away from the tower by:
"At least 3 ft"
"Probably 5 ft"
"3 ft at the top and 4ft at the bottom"
"3 ft from the tower"
"2 to 3ft will not cause any problems"
"8-10ft from the tower"
"Attach a string in the middle of the wire to pull it away from the tower to help loading & reduce coupling"

The total length of wire should be:
195ft
170ft
165ft
192ft
160ft
160-165ft  (My choice. 85' vertical and 80' horizontal or nearly so)

Beg, borrow or steal an antenna analyzer (I may just buy one.)

Seal the end(s) of any coaxial capacitors used and tie and coil them up. Do not just lay them out on the ground. (I have NO idea how to "estimate" the capacitance of a variable capacitor!! Guess I will cut and try here.)

Several suggested shunt-feeding the tower itself. Unfortunately, I have 6 uninsulated guy-wires attached to it AND a number of control cables and coaxes coming off the tower at the 30ft level and running to the shack in an elevated manner, for about 90ft.

Today, I added one radial to the three existing radials and I fabricated a tower bracket with insulator to hang the vertical wire 5 feet from the Rohn 45G. Now, I need to go out and buy the actual wire (Number 14???)

Hope this fills in the gaps for anyone following this thread. More information as the project progresses, although I understand more Wintery weather is on it's way to the Midwest!! Thanks again to all who participated!!

73 & DX!
Chuck  KØTVD