Re: Topband: Notes on early JA to East Coast QSO's

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Notes on early JA to East Coast QSO's
From: Jon Zaimes AA1K <jz73@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:24:15 -0500
Hi John,

Interesting roundup!

When I was in Shelton, Connecticut, we heard JA3ONB and JA2GQO day after day
after day starting in late December of 1980 and through January and
February1981, as early as an hour before sunrise and as late as a half-hour
after. Even heard them as late as April that year, just before we moved to
Delaware. No JA QSOs though. We had just 100 watts to a shunt-fed 70-ft tower;
and the only useful Beverages for them were due West and due South. I think
they were running higher power. I did work VS6DO one morning though. Later I
received an SWL card from a UA0 on Sakhalin from early January.

My first JA QSOs -- JA3ONB and JA2GQO -- came in 1983 from my Bear, Delaware,
QTH.

73/Jon AA1K