Re: Topband: Notes on early JA to East Coast QSO's

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Notes on early JA to East Coast QSO's
From: Earl W Cunningham <k6se@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 12:48:54 -0800
My first Topband QSO with JA was back in 1971 when I was W5RTQ in
Houston.  It was shortly after I bought a new Drake C-line, and the R-4C
noise blanker did an outstanding job on the Loran, making the QSO
possible.  Just being able to hear JA was an immense thrill.
Subsequently worked numerous JAs from there.  VS6DO was always prevalent,
too.

Of course, now from California, JAs are commonplace (like EU from the
east coast) and still a thrill to hear them.

The best ever EU (by far) opening I recall from here to EU was the night
of the 1997 Stew Perry contest.  Working GM3POI who was 30 over 9 an hour
before my sunset and 4X4NJ for Asia the hard way that night (along with
many EUs), will always be remembered.

73, de Earl, K6SE