Topband: 3B9C received Cairo

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 3B9C received Cairo
From: "Jim Sorenson" <kjsorenson@infinity.com.eg>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:40:11 +0200
Gentlemen,

Re: today's email about propagation of 3B9C's signals

3B9C was heard here in Cairo just after midnight local time (Z+2) slightly
above 1.822 (28 march). This was the first time it has been heard as the noise
level has been averaging 30db over. It was readable just long enough to copy a
CQ, its callsign and exchange with an SM4. This was only possible because of a
lucky combination of settings on the RF-590/MFJ-1026 and non-res delta loop
which shut down the florescent jungle (and the signals) to a point where the
signal was somehow just barely decerible over that noise. There wasn't much
audio left either. Europeans calling above 1.817 were at about the same level
(S1+), perhaps slightly louder.  Clear of the local QRN, I would estimate that
both sides would have been possibly at least S5, but it's very hard to say
considering how tighly shut in my receiving system was.  I will continue to
monitor trying some new tricks, but the chances of working him are pretty
remote. At least you know that his signal path has included SU, if only for a
very brief period.

Jim
SU9AM/W3BH
Cairo