RE: Topband: MF Anti-Podal Propagation Enhancement

To: "Top Band" <topband@contesting.com>,"Chuck Hutton" <charlesh3@msn.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: MF Anti-Podal Propagation Enhancement
From: "John Kaufmann" <jkaufmann@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 07:28:49 -0500
Chuck Hutton wrote:

> Now that we've gotten past the word nitpicking, what's the evidence to
> discard antipodal focusing? What's the explanation for the greater signal
> strengths of antipodal stations than very far away but not antipodal
> stations? Is there DF data from anyone that says the incoming signal is
from
> a narrow range of angles?

I mentioned a few days ago that VK6 is nearly (but not exactly) antipodal to
my QTH.  Most of the time there is definite directionality to the signals,
but it is unpredictable.  On short path, it varies between NW and SW.  On
long path, it can be between NE and SE.  Sometimes it appears to be
multipath with no strong directionality.  The apparent advantage of
antipodal paths may be due to the fact that if one directional path is
closed, there may be another one that is open and there is not much
geographic distance penalty for one vs. the other.

73, John W1FV