re: Topband: 3B9C tonight

To: chetmoore@cox.net
Subject: re: Topband: 3B9C tonight
From: Eric Scace K3NA <eric@k3na.org>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 13:28:36 -0500
Hi Chet --

   That was me at the key the night W4TEA made his QSO.  We have had a series
of USA openings with either heavy QRN or just very
marginal, weak propagation of signals back from North America to us.  Finally
we got one session with quite low static crashes and
realized that our ambient noise level has some man-made QRN in it.
Unfortunately there isn't much we can do about the man-made QRN
at this point, so that is the 3B9C noise floor.

   At least when I was operating, folks calling more than plus/minus 750 Hz
from the announced listening frequency were wasting
their time.  I usually could hear someone workable quite close to the announced
frequency -- or, there just wasn't anyone audible at
all.  I'm a bit surprised and discouraged that the pileup was spread over 6
kHz.  The 3B9C operating philosophy has been to minimize
band occupancy and keep the pileups narrow.  I would have hoped that people
would note a pattern of stations worked, and concluded
that the successful QSOs were in a narrow range of frequencies.  Apologies for
gobbling up so much of the limited spectrum on 160m.

-- Eric K3NA

(BTW Chet, did you happen to be a Navy radio op in the 1970s?)

Re: Topband: 3B9C tonight
from [Chet Moore]