Re: Topband: Why no CW segment?

To: "Arne Gjerning" <gjerning@flash.net>, "W0UCE" <W0UCE@nc.rr.com>,<wrt@dslextreme.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Why no CW segment?
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:22:22 -0400
> Instead of a 160M band plan, how about a 160M CW segment
and Phone segment
> similar to other amateur bands.

Actually we need a narrow mode segment,  NOT a CW segment or
a DX segment. We need a narrow mode segment for new modes
like digital modes, and for people who like all forms of CW
operation. The future of amateur radio is in reducing
bandwidth, and nothing about the present rules encourages
that.

Most people don't realize how wide SSB rigs really are. Look
at any test, and you see IM3 is sometime only about -30dB
PEP, and now we have more and more tetrode amplifiers that
are in that same area!!

I have some stuff about TX bandwidth at:

http://www.w8ji.com/transmitter_splatter.htm

This isn't a problem on other bands because of a large
buffer area between narrow mode and wide mode areas. On 160,
they butt right up together and so it is more problematic.
SSB to SSB is less of a problem because receivers are wider
and that raises noise floor at several times over CW noise
floor.

There are very good engineering reasons why narrow modes
(not just CW) are protected from wider modes. I think the
non-technical nature of the FCC and ARRL management is what
feeds the increase in poor decisions.

As for the problem continuing, there haven't been changes at
the ARRL. The people truly at the top have been at the top
for many years. The ARRL is no different than any other
political organization alleged to represent people. It works
the same way.

Common sense, long term future, good planning and
engineering, and the opinions of the majority never drives
the opinions of the people who actually make decisions in
any political organization.

All we can do is express our dislike, but it better be at
the top. I suggest people contact Bill Cross at the FCC and
Dave Sumner at the ARRL. I'd bet that's where the decisions
are really made.

I'd make it a point that this is not a CW or DX issue, it is
a wide band vs narrow band issue. Either they need to get
some realistic pressure on manufacturers to conform to part
97 (see  http://www.w8ji.com/fcc_97_307.htm   )

or we need to keep wide and narrow modes separated.

73 Tom