Topband: Re: 1837.5 KC/1845 KC CW QRM

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Re: 1837.5 KC/1845 KC CW QRM
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:35:25 -0400
WA4DOU wrote:
>As for me, I will rigidly
adhere to observance of 1840 khz.as the dividing line between
phone and narrow modes, 100% of the time.

        Good for you Roy.  I would just like to add one comment
about 1840 versus the 1843 recommendation in the ARRL Bandplan.
1840 was the "old" Bandplan limit and it meant sideband bandwidth
should not extend below that limit.  This is the same definition
the FCC uses and is of course why we should never transmit LSB on
carriers below 1843, 3753 or 7153 if we don't want the lower part
of our LSB signal to fall below the band edge.  The ARRL Bandplan
Committee decided to recommend a LSB CARRIER frequency of 1843
which we felt was easier to understand than the previous 1840 edge.
In fact they are identical for a 3 kHz LSB signal.  Technically the
1840 edge definition is the better one, especially since some guys
are now using wider bandwidths on SSB, but the Committee felt using
the 1843 LSB carrier frequency would be better understood by most
so that all of their bandwidth would stay above 1840.

        I just wanted to explain the rationale behind 1843.  BTW, all
3 Regional IARU Bandplans are consistent in recommending no SSB
bandwidth below 1840 (which is consistent with our Bandplan).

73, Bill W4ZV

P.S.  I just worked a bunch of guys running 100 milliwatts out from
my K2.  W8JI put pads on his 200 milliwatts and got his signal down
to 20 microwatts!  I could still copy him even in tonight's QRN
using a lame Beverage in his direction (I have a fallen tree on it).
This brings up another FCC regulation that states we should use the
minimum power necessary, and we sometimes forget about that.  I had
more fun playing QRP tonight than I have in a long time!