RE: Topband: Re: 1837.5 KC/1845 KC CW QRM

To: "'Tom Rauch'" <w8ji@contesting.com>,"'Roger D Johnson'" <n1rj@adelphia.net>,"'Top Band Reflector'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: Re: 1837.5 KC/1845 KC CW QRM
From: "W0UCE" <W0UCE@nc.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 20:56:24 -0400
Amen Tom.

73,

Jack

WØUCE
www.wØuce.net

-----Original Message-----
From: topband-bounces@contesting.com
[mailto:topband-bounces@contesting.com] On Behalf Of Tom Rauch
Sent: Saturday, April 17, 2004 7:19 PM
To: Roger D Johnson; Top Band Reflector

> While I have no dog in this particular fight, I did object
very
> strongly to the FCC applying federal muscle to enforce a
"voluntary"
> band plan. While operations of Mr Wehrung, and others, may
have been
> a big PITA to some, it appears that they were perfectly
legal under
> the present FCC regulations. It is very vexing that the
commission
> virtually ignores all the illegal CB activity, citing lack
of resources,
> but they seen to have time to cite amateurs operating
legally!

Hi Roger,

The FCC depends on us to be mature level-headed responsible
people who to a large extent self-regulate through peer
pressure and operating agreements.

The tool they have to enforce this is in 97.101,
specifically subparts a, b and d.

For example, I can put a repeater on any "legal" frequency I
like with any split I like. But if that system causes any
problems at all to someone operating within bandplans (and
with coordination) the burden falls on me to prove I was
following 97.101a and 97.101d

The bottom line is we can operate where we like within
limits of the law, but every section applies. Even 97.101

Besides, I'm sure 99.9% of us are really good hearted and
don't want to aggravate others or spoil others fun. Life is
too short to waste time giving each other a hard time over
nothing, when we have bigger issues in life to deal with.
That's why 160 works so well, and only a very small handful
of people cause intentional problems. It wouldn't work this
well if the vast majority of people weren't mature
responsible level-headed adults with consideration and
respect for others, and above average intelligence.

When the guys moved down on top of Bill, I'm sure they
didn't know he was already there. It was probably all a
simple mistake, and none of us are immune to that. I've
never heard Bill intentionally bother anyone, and I've never
heard the fellows from Florida do that either.

It would be nice if everyone spent as much time trying to
locate and put peer pressure on people who cause problems or
learned something useful about radio instead of arguing over
what amounts to nothing.

Gees, let's do something useful with our short lives.

73 Tom