Topband: ARRL and FCC view of 160M

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: ARRL and FCC view of 160M
From: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:17:20 -0500
I would bet that the real reason for the ARRL's lack of interest in
segmentation is far less sinister than some on this reflector are advocating.
It is no secret that the ARRL is very careful to 'request' anything of the FCC
when they KNOW the FCC is unwilling to administrate.  I suspect the real reason
for no restructuring of the official band segmentation is more akin to the FCC
being unwilling to administrate the other band segments, much less allowing the
introduction of segmentation of 160M.

Having casually reviewed Riley's monthly enforcement activities--great
entertainment actually--I have yet to see anybody get officially chastised for
willfully ignoring the segmentation of the other bands.  You occassionally hear
of OOs sending notices for inside band edge violations, etc., but never a
letter from Riley threatening to pull somebody's ticket.  Why?  Because the FCC
does not want to enforce inter-band non-sense.  As long as we stay within 1.8
to 2.0 MHz, 3.5 to 4.0 MHz, etc., they could care less.  And they certainly
don't want any additional administrative headaches than they have right now.

Although Tom-W8JI presented some information about the ARRL's attitude 40 years
ago, has anybody actually queried their director recently?  Instead of
demonizing people at the ARRL, has anybody asked K1ZZ what he thinks about
segmentation?  I find the hateful comments about the IMPUTED opinions of people
in charge at the ARRL to be quite offensive and nothing more than trolling the
"I hate the ARRL" mantra.  In an absense of solid evidence to the contrary, I
have to believe there are good reasons for non-segmentation of 160M, which go
well beyond our "wish list."

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com