Topband: ARRL Band Segmentation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: ARRL Band Segmentation
From: "Dennis Peterson" <dennis.peterson@machlink.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 06:27:23 -0500
Here is something for many of you to take a look at before you hastily make
further statements and criticisms towards anyone about the FCC & or ARRL
Band Segmentation.  I didn't understand myself why there wasn't such a tool
or device here in the USA for this but after taking a closer look at the
Topband Frequency Allocations I authored back in the early 80's in Seattle,
WA it makes allot of sense why possibly there isn't segmentation here in the
United States.

Not that I agree with their decision making but due to the frequency
spectrum of the other countries within the DXCC realm; it appears logically
speaking that maybe this is one of the reasons why they haven't done so.  I
have asked this question myself to them in my 27+ years as a Ham Radio
Operator.  I have been an ARRL member but at present I am not due to other
circumstances beyond my control.

I would invite all of you who may not know the operating parameters of the
other 335+ countries of the ARRL to take a look at and examine closely the
CW & SSB allocations of these countries as compared to the United States.
Many of these countries are not allowed the privilege of using 200 KHz of
bandwidth like we do, in fact; many of them only have a few KHz of
bandwidth.  Oh, yes; I know what you are going to say----------That's not
our problem nor is it our concern

As a matter of fact, it is somewhat our concern because if we segment like
WE WANT IT TO BE....then we stand a chance of segmenting our CW right in
their SSB region and so on.

Go to the following URL  www.machlink.com/~k0ckdennis  once there scroll
down to the file entitled 160 Frequency Allocations.XLS (updated 3/15/04)
Bring this file up and print it out FYI and examine it closely.  As an
example, the first 8 countries on the list are as follows
1AØ - 1S - 3A - 3B6,7 -3B8 - 3B9 - 3C & 3CØ THESE COUNTRIES ARE ALLOWED
OPERATION FROM 1830 TO 1850 FOR BOTH CW & SSB. One can clearly see that
immediately if we segmented 1800- 1840 as CW ONLY, we cover up 10 KHz of
their 20 KHz spectrum.

Many other countries are allowed operation from 1820 to 1830 and 1820 to
1840 and some even only from 1810 to 1830 and 1830 to 1850.  For many years
Japan had only 1907.5 to 1912.5  5 KHz of bandwidth for all their ham
operators to use.  They have since restructured and are now below 1825, not
the best for their concerns but at least it was a start and progress does
take time.

Granted my allocations listing isn't complete, I think there are 9 to 12
countries that I haven't been able to account for as far as their operating
parameters.  It taken over 20 years to get as far as we have so I suppose
after I'm gone someone else will overtake the reign and maybe and hopefully
complete the list for others to use and enjoy.

Please accept my apologies for the extended bandwidth but I felt compelled
to at least interject my 2¢ worth and hopefully resolve a bitter civil war
on the subject due to many not knowing or seeing clearly some of the
obstacles that block the PATHWAY FOR AND TOWARDS POSSIBLE BAND SEGMENTATION.

I am quite sure that if I have not provided the appropriate or qualified
information here that I will in fact be notified by K1ZM or K1ZZ or Riley
Hollingsworth as to my voiced opinions.

We all get upset quite often over the fact that someone is using SSB in an
area where CW is or should be; however, again; THIS IS THE GENTLEMEN'S
BAND-----NOT THE CITIZEN'S OR CHILDREN'S BAND----- let's not take this issue
in the wrong direction and create another one of these unsightly bands that
has gotten totally out of control and end up in the same boat and up the
same creek as they have.

My personal opinions and comments.    73s and I hope this information will
make perfect sense and enlighten those who were not aware of what is going
on.

Dennis   *****KØCKD
---