Topband: Hillside Beverage Antenna

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Hillside Beverage Antenna
From: David Gilbert <rimradio@direcway.com>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 00:09:15 -0700
I'm a relative newbie to 160m and I'd like to know whether a beverage antenna
running up a steep slope would have better or worse performance compared to one
on flat ground.  The slope in question is fairly consistent at about 40 degrees
and in the clear for well over 1000 feet up the side of a mountain.  The face
of the slope is northeast toward Europe from my southern Arizona QTH, and the
surrounding terrain continues downward at 10 to 15 degrees slope for roughly a
mile in that same direction.  An EZNEC model of a typical 550 foot beverage
shows such a broad vertical lobe that I suspect there isn't much difference
except for very high incident angles.  Any comments are appreciated.