Re: Topband: Hillside Beverage Antenna

To: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Hillside Beverage Antenna
From: David Gilbert <rimradio@direcway.com>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 10:11:36 -0700
Thanks, Bill, to you and all the others for such quick replies.  I guess my
description wasn't very clear, though, because the 40 degree gradient I
described slopes downward toward the northeast, not upward.  My lot is at
the edge of a mountainside that slopes sharply up to the west of me and more
gently downward to the east of me.

Your comment about the best bearing to Europe from Arizona is very
interesting, though.  Yes, I can orient the beverage on a face of the
hillside that looks more eastward than northeastward.  Even more interesting
is that the transmitting antenna I used this winter (a 2 element wire yagi I
suspended 175 feet high across the canyon a bit further back in the
mountainside)  beams about 75 degrees bearing.  I was thinking of trying to
reorient it to point further north but probably won't bother now.  You just
saved me from playing mountain goat again.

Thanks again to all.

Dave  AB7E