Re: Topband: beverages: Diversity / Phasing

To: Tom Rauch <w8ji@contesting.com>, Topband <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: beverages: Diversity / Phasing
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 11:47:59 -1000

Hi Tom,

It seems like people are using the term "diversity" incorrectly. I don't have an authoritative definition. It would be interesting to know what people think diversity is. I can think of a few things which are NOT diversity. Adding the RF from two or more antennas (perhaps using combiners, phasing lines, variable attenuators, or phase shifting networks) is a "phased array" and is not diversity. It is my understanding that "diversity" choses the signal from the antenna which has the best S/N ratio or bit error rate. This is often done using separate receivers AFTER the signals have been demodulated and are audio, or a data stream. If some kind of control is selecting the best antenna going to a single receiver, it might also be called diversity. In microwave communications the terms "space diversity" and "frequency diversity" are used. Space diversity uses two antennas, two receivers and some sort of "voting" system to select the better signal. Frequency diversity requires all of that and two transmitters at the other end on two frequencies. If the "selection" of best signal is done in the operators head, using separate signals in each ear, maybe that is also a form of diversity. Perhaps a phased array with some kind of control loop dynamically adjusting the relative phase and amplitude from the two or more antennas would also be a correct application of the word "diversity"?

I would be interested to know what is the real defintion of the word diversity in the context of RF communications?

Ken N6KB