Re: Topband: Tophat? Does it have to be at the top?

To: Jon Zaimes AA1K <jz73@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Tophat? Does it have to be at the top?
From: Peter Sears <w5ps@airmail.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 22:13:20 -0500
Back 15yrs ago when I first installed my 130' rotating tower I first put up a 4 element 20M beam at 60'. I installed a shunt feed 2' away from the tower and the tap at 58'. This tuned very easily with my 500pF variable air cap on 160M. I then installed an identical 20M 4 element beam at 120' and a 40-2CD 10' above the top 20M beam at 130'. The top two beams really messed up the match and made the tower look extremely long. I took down the shunt feed and erected my 4 square without regret.

Peter
W5PS

Jon Zaimes AA1K wrote:

I haven't modeled, but in two actual cases -- one with 70 foot of Rohn 25, the other with 100 feet -- I had a 204BA on the mast a few inches above the tower. On the 70-footer I added a Wilson 4-el 15m yagi (17-ft boom) about 5 or 6 feet above the 204BA. On the 100-footer I added the same beam 12 feet above the 204BA.

In neither case was there any noticable shift in resonant frequency of the tower when I added the upper beam.

Both towers were shunt fed, with extensive on-the-ground radial fields.

Perhaps adding a larger beam above a smaller one would make a difference.

73/Jon AA1K