Re: Topband: Analog to Digital converter for 1.8MHz

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist (N6RK)" <richard@karlquist.com>,"Steve Ireland" <sire@iinet.net.au>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Analog to Digital converter for 1.8MHz
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 13:45:58 -0400
> However, the dynamic range of 71.5 dB may not do
> so well in a contest with lots of strong signals.

Steve lives where even 60dB DR may be enough.

Here at my QTH, 85 dB of DR close-spaced is required, a bit
more wide spaced. I can clearly hear the poor close spaced
IM3DR of stock unmodified FT1000D's and rigs like the IC
7800. I have to listen through the entire East Coast to work
Europe.

I'm sure the target value would be different in different
areas of the world and even different areas of the United
States, but domestically (and I suspect in Europe and Japan)
80-90dB close spaced and 90-95dB wide spaced would be enough
for almost any location. Good luck doing that with a DSP
system instead of a crystal or mechanical filter!

73 Tom