Re: Topband: Analog to Digital converter for 1.8MHz

To: <topband@contesting.com>, "Bill Tippett" <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Topband: Analog to Digital converter for 1.8MHz
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 20:12:53 -0400
>          By the way, has anyone seen measurements of the
IC-7800's claimed
> "110 dB dynamic range" published anywhere?  I have a
feeling this is more
> marketing hype from Icom...never to be measured anywhere
except in their
> advertising copywriter's office.  ;-)

I measured a 7800 here, and it was in the high 70-dB range
at 2kHz spacing and worse at closer spacing. It was about 12
dB or so worse than my FT1000D at 2kHz in IM3 DR, and about
20dB worse than an Orion.

Which make me wonder......

I generally only have problems with stuff within 2-3kHz on
CW.  I almost never notice clicks beyond 2-3kHz away.

On SSB, I almost never notice splatter more than 5kHz away
(unless I'm on CW, then I can hear SSB radios like TS2000's
and IC756PRO's about 10kHz or more away at times).To me it
appears stuff within 5kHz is the problem on SSB.

I never notice "phase" noise more than 3-5kHz away. I assume
"phase" noise is only an issue (barring a defective radio)
within 5kHz or so.

If that is true for everyone else like it is for me, then
who cares about 20kHz and wider tests?

73 Tom