Topband: Quick info

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Quick info
From: "Tod - Idaho" <tod@k0to.us>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:58:17 -0600
Before I start a search of the archives and the web I thought I would ask a
question that I think has been commented on here:

Is it possible to model antennas such as a Beverage or the bidirectional
off-center-fed antenna described by Tom Russell, N4KG, on page 192 of the
ARRL Antenna Compendium #7. Both of these antenna types have a height above
ground of about 8 feet (or less).

Using EZNEC I can see the pattern of the N4KG antenna OK, but the feed point
impedance he reports is not even close to what my model predicts. Also, the
gain is rather high (8-10 dBi) at relatively low angles (25-45 degrees).
Very attractive properties, but also very suspicious with respect to being
real. I am sure the antenna works as Tom describes, it is the model that is
puzzling.

Tod, KØTO