Re: Topband: Bev. antenna cores

To: "linda doyle" <ldoyle@gwi.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Bev. antenna cores
From: "Tom Rauch" <W8JI@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 08:24:58 -0400
John,

IMO, that was a very poor core to use, as evidenced by the difficulty in
winding. I don't know why anyone would select that core material and style
in this application.

You can use less turns of much heavier wire and have a more reliable core if
you move into 73 material or similar cores.

I don't know how that particular core works after being exposed to high flux
density, but some cores do lose substantial permeability and are not even
recoverable. I do know a 73 material core can actually take a hit strong
enough to physically chip a section of the core and remain usable as a
Beverage transformer.

73 Tom