Topband: Boring Report - more Europe!

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Boring Report - more Europe!
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 17:27:09 -0400
N6TR wrote:
>A wonderful evening on top band.  W4ZV mentioned he was celebrating his
20th anniversay on topband.  Happy anniversay Bill.  Bill let HA8BE know
that he had several west coast stations calling, which resulted in W7LR,
K0RF and myself showing up in his log.

        Oops...I checked my long and see I was off one day.  My first 160
QSO was with Phil N6ZZ/TI2 on 25 October 1984 at 0504.  I had just put
up an elevated vertical to grab a few multipliers in the upcoming CQ
WW SSB contest and had no idea what that would lead to!  Last night I
also worked John G3PQA who was one of my first 3 EU stations worked on
31 October (Pierre HB9AMO was my first and Len SM7BIC was my third).  I
remember Dale K6UA telling me I would do well to make WAC but JA1GTF
finished that on 4 November!  And I also vividly remember one local DX'er
in Colorado telling me 160 was not a REAL DX band.  HA!  6 months later
I had DXCC #90 on the wall (with no Beverages BTW).

>Bill let HA8BE know
that he had several west coast stations calling, which resulted in W7LR,
K0RF and myself showing up in his log.

        As conditions improve, I hope we'll all remember to let some of the
guys on either coast have a chance at DX that may be easy from wherever we
are located.  We don't need to give call signs, prompts or relay reports.
We only need to let that HA or JA know that he has some callers from the
opposite coast, and have the courtesy to stand by for stations that may
need a new one when they have those rare openings.

73, Bill W4ZV