Re: Topband: Receivers

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Receivers
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 18:26:04 +0000
As an IC-765 is a 751A in a bigger box with tuner & the same internal
power supply, the 765 adds essentially bigger knobs & 10 cycle
frequency display.  I believe 751As can be had now for around US$500.

Quite a bit of commonality in receiver circuitry across ICOM's product
line back then, starting with the IC-730.

This makes me wonder if I should have ever gotten rid of my IC-740 -
ham bands only & perhaps with a change of first IF filter... but how to
add computer control?  The 730 didn't have topband.

Wonder if a PIEXX board could be put into an 830?  Some more drastic
surgery to get rid of the valves in the transmitter & that would be the rig
to have, IMHO.

73, VR2BrettroGraham