Re: Topband: Receivers

To: ford@cmgate.com, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Receivers
From: Earl W Cunningham <k6se@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 18:45:39 -0800
Ford, N0FP wrote:

"I respectfully must submit that your hate for the original 746 is almost
certainly unjustified."
----------
I have no hate for the original 746.  When I compared an original 746 and
a 746Pro side-by-side, the 746pro performed a magnitude better than the
original 746.  I merely expressed my opinion, based on that A/B test,
that the 746Pro was a big improvement over the earlier radio.
==========

"....on the MKV, using the peaking filter requires pressing the button 5
times.  Turning it off requires pressing it another 3."
----------
Apparently this is another reason why the CW operator is better off with
the original FT-1000MP (rather than the MK V or the Field).  On the MP,
it takes only one button press to turn the EDSP CW "peaking" filter on
and off.  (No, I don't hate the MKV and Field, either!).
==========

"And the Twin Passband tuning of the 746 will run circles around the
shift/width controls of the MKV."
----------
I find the shift/width controls quite useful at times on CW on my
original MP.  I never use the twin passband tuning on my 756Pro2 on CW --
perhaps because I always use such narrow bandwidths in that mode
(therefore the twin passband tuning does nothing).
==========

"If your 'hate' for the orginal 746 stems from the lack of dynamic
range..."
Again, I have no hate for the original 746.  In fact, I mentioned that
using the front panel attenuator switch on the 756Pro2 eliminates the
IMDDR3 products during CW contests when the band is full of strong
signals.  I assume the same is true for the 746.

My closest neighbor ham (W6FW - a DXer who runs a KW, including on 160m)
is over two miles away, so I've never experienced a situation where any
radio I've used suffers from lack of BDR.

73, de Earl, K6SE